Work with HEDERA:
- Disciplinary Thinking OER Project (University of Bath, UKOER Phase 3) – designing and producing OERs for academic development: consultant developer
- Sustainable Texts & Disciplinary Conversations OER Project (UKOER Phase 3) – co-director;
- Research to inform e-learning strategy and user requirements analysis for e-learning platform (UCL) – interviewing students and staff; desk research, reports and multimedia presentation: consultant researcher
- Evaluation of institutional teaching and learning enhancement scheme (University of Bath): consultant
- UKPSF Impact Study (SEDA, UAL, IoE): consultant researcher
- OER in Educational Development Survey (LSE, Bishop Grossteste, Hull): project partner
At UCL she was a lecturer in the Centre for the Advancement of Learning & Teaching and, prior to that, a researcher in the Department of Computer Science. She has taught at undergraduate, Masters and PhD levels, and served on institutional committees and working groups including Quality Management and Enhancement Committee and on Internal Quality Review panels.
She has a broad interest in interactions between people and technologies, and particularly technology-mediated collaboration and e-learning. She is a regular presenter at conferences and publishes on e-learning, online communication, digital literacies and open education.
- Hughes, J. and McKenna, C. (2012) The impact of developing Open Educational Resources (OERs) on novice OER developers. Journal of Interactive Media Education.
- Ellis, R., Weyers, M. and Hughes, J. (2012), Campus-based student experiences of learning technologies in a first-year science course. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2012.01354.x
- Ellis, R. A., Hughes, J., Weyers, M., & Riding, P. (2009). University teacher approaches to design and teaching and concepts of learning technologies. Teaching and Teacher Education 25 (1)
- McKenna, C. and Hughes, J. (2013, forthcoming) ‘Values, digital texts and open practices – a changing scholarly landscape in higher education’ in Eds. R. Goodfellow and M. Lea Literacy in the Digital University: learning as social practice in a digital world. London: Routledge.
- Hughes, J. (2010) The Multilingual Internet. In S. Guth and F. Helm (eds), Telecollaboration 2.0: Language, Literacies and Intercultural Learning in the 21st Century. Bern, Peter Lang, 2010.
Conference papers and presentations
- Hughes, J. and McKenna, C. (2013) Sharing with real and imagined audiences: reframing disciplinary narratives as OER. Poster. OER 13. Nottingham.
- King, H., Hughes, J. and McKenna, C. (2012) From expert to novice: open educational resources (OERs) for unpacking discipline-based ways of thinking, learning and practising. SEDA conference. Chester.
- McKenna, C., Hughes, J. and King, H. (2012) OERs for exploring disciplinary ways of thinking and practising. HEA Annual Conference. Manchester.
- Hughes, J. and McKenna, C. (2012)’Sustainable Texts and Disciplinary Conversations: OER in Practice and Policy. HEA Open Horizons; Sharing the Future conference. Birmingham